WikiIslam talk:Core Principles
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Why assume that it is a "scientific fact" that evolution is true? Do you have proof of it? Can you demonstrate it repeatably under controlled experiments? How do you know that human beings evolved from lower life? Have you observed that? Do you believe it just because some people said so? Why do you require that Islam (a religion) be verified by science (human knowledge about the physical world, matter & energy)? Is not human knowledge (science) always changing, one generation claiming the older generation's science was erroneous? Does anyone remember when science said that Pluto was a planet? (EnochBethany (talk) 11:55, 29 May 2015 (PDT))
- I can answer a few of these.
- "Can you demonstrate it repeatably under controlled experiments?"
- Yes, especially with things which have a short lifespan. http://www.decodedscience.com/evolution-in-action-three-experiments-demonstrating-natural-selection/1796 -- In addition to the three on those page, antibiotic resistance is another one - where bacteria 'evolve' a trait of resistance to a threat (antibiotics). What is not yet proven is how life was first started on Earth, but there are several theories, including that bacteria rode here on a comet or other impactor.
- Another way of proving evolution in history is the fossil record. Things we dig up (from millions of years ago) resemble some things which already exist, but the things that exist now have changed.
- "Does anyone remember when science said that Pluto was a planet?"
- Yes, but then we discovered more objects in our solar system, which brought up a debate in the IAU about what a planet is. It's a change in name only, there are other changes in science which you could have used instead, such as the fact that handwashing was dismissed at one point, but is now essential. In this specific example, though, the modern scientific method was followed (verifiable proof was provided) but scientists of the day fatally decided to follow the status quo instead (because the scientist who proved it didn't know how it even worked). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignaz_Semmelweis
- "Is not human knowledge (science) always changing, one generation claiming the older generation's science was erroneous?"
- Always expanding. --18.104.22.168 15:48, 29 May 2015 (PDT)
- "Why assume that it is a "scientific fact" that evolution is true?" - There are two options, evolution and creationist theory. I personally go by whichever option has greater scientific evidence and support from scientists, experts in fossils and so on.
- But having said that I think people who dont believe in evolution can still contribute to the site like anyone else. From what I can remember, there's only a small amount of material about evolution on this site (if any). Most of the content naturally focuses on Islam only. --Axius (talk | contribs) 15:53, 29 May 2015 (PDT)