Talk:The Quran and Mountains
(1) There is a reference that is missing in all English articles and I wonder why it has not been added. It is about Arabs that even before Muhammad, they believed that Mountains are the pegs. We have it in our Urdu article, and it is very effective and Muslim claim (i.e. it's Quran miracle to tell that Mountains are the pegs) end with this single reference.
(2) And then there are two big scientific mistakes regarding the creation of mountains in Quran. Again I wonder why English articles don't mention them. These scientific mistakes of Quran immediately bring Muslims on the backfoot.
English article is very lengthy with long scientific discussions about Isostasy etc. (i.e. such long modern scientific discussions are not interesting and suitable for normal readers). But in Urdu we had a very short article regarding mountains (with absolutely no modern scientific discussions about Isostasy etc) and I noted that it was very effective despite being very short.
The idea of Mountains being Pegs had already existed among the Arabs before Muhammad
The idea of mountains being pegs even existed among the Arabs before Muhammad. For example, Ka’ab was one of the ancestor of Muhammad. This Ka’ab also declared mountains to be pegs long before Muhammad.
Ka'ab Bin Lowy was a man of great honour among his ancestors and progeny. He was the first person who gave the name of Friday to the day of Friday. Arabs used to call him 'Aroba. He gathered them and advised them to hear, learn and understand, and to know that night is deserted and silent, while day is full of sunlight, and earth is a cradle while sky is a support, and mountains are pegs, and stars are signs, ...
The critics point out that the writer of Qur'an only recorded this old concept in Quran, thus it could be in no way a miracle of Qur'an.
Scientific mistakes in Quran regarding the creation of mountains
According to the critics, the writer of Quran made two scientific mistakes regarding the creation of mountains.
First: Mountains were put "from above" on the earth
Sahih International: And He placed on the earth firmly set mountains over its surface.Mohsin Khan: And He placed in it stabilisers (i.e. mountains) from above.
The Arabic words "من فوقها" mean "from above".
Critics point out that Mountains are formed through the movement and collision of lithospheric (tectonic) plates. The Quran, by contrast, states that the mountains on Earth's surface were put upon it from above by Allah, which is a scientific mistake of Quran.
Second: Allah had already made the mountains on the day of Sunday at time of the creation of the universe
- Mountains were not created on Sunday at the time of creation of the earth and the heavens.
- But earth initially consisted of gases only. It took billions of years to come into solid form. And even after earth came into solid state, still it took billions of years more in the formation of mountains.
- And older mountains disappear with time, and new mountains start forming.
- There existed no Mount Everest 250 million years ago. Today it is the highest mountain. It will keep on gaining even more height, but then a time will come, when it will disappear completely.
Not only Hadith, but Quran itself claims that Allah had already created the mountains during the creation of the earth and the heavens.