WikiIslam:User Names and Pages
This section lists the types of usernames that are considered inappropriate. The same criteria also apply to signatures. Usernames that fall under one of these categories will be renamed by an administrator. They will do this by:
- abbreviating the username until it is no longer misleading/offensive/promotional.
- using a random username generator (e.g. http://myusernamegenerator.com/).
- or accepting an alternative username if requested by the user on their userpage.
The choice between the first and second method is left to the discretion of the administrator. If the username is overtly offensive/malicious and the user has not made any constructive edits, they can be blocked indefinitely.
The following types of username are not permitted because they may be misleading in a way that disrupts the project:
- Usernames that impersonate real people, well known or not.
- Usernames that give the impression that the account has permissions which it does not have, for example by containing the terms "administrator", "bureaucrat", "editor", "checkuser", "oversight", or similar terms like "admin", "sysop" or "moderator".
- Usernames which could be easily misunderstood to refer to a "bot" (which is used to identify bot accounts) or a "script" (which alludes to automated editing processes), unless the account is of that type.
- Usernames including phrases such as "wikiislam" that give the incorrect impression that the account may be officially affiliated with WikiIslam or one of its projects.
- Usernames which resemble IP addresses (as these are expected to designate non-logged-in users), timestamps or other names which would be confusing within the WikiIslam signature format.
Disruptive or Offensive Names
The following types of usernames are not permitted because they are disruptive or offensive:
- Usernames that contain contentious material about living persons, or those that are offensive towards any race, ethnicity or social groups, or names which appear to attack not religious doctrines but rather the followers of such doctrines as may appear indistinguishable from racism (names referencing criticisms of religious doctrines shall be allowed).
- Usernames that are likely to offend other contributors, making harmonious editing difficult or impossible, for example by containing profanities.
- Usernames that contain or imply personal attacks.
- Usernames that seem intended to provoke emotional reaction ("trolling").
- Usernames that otherwise show a clear intent to disrupt WikiIslam.
Note that usernames that are inappropriate in another language, or that represent an inappropriate name with misspellings and substitutions, or do so indirectly or by implication, are still considered inappropriate.
The following types of usernames are not permitted because they are considered promotional:
- Usernames that unambiguously consist of a name of a company, group, institution or product (e.g. AhmadsWidgets, MyWidgetsUAE.com, CairoMuseumofAntiquities).
- Email addresses and URLs (such as "[email protected]" and "Example.com") that promote a web page and do not simply identify a person.
- Usernames that support political issues (e.g. SupportIsrael, FreeGaza, NotoImmigration) or preach (e.g. LeaveIslam, ConvertToIslam).
Userpages are not placeholders or homes for articles and essays. Any such use of the userpage will result in it being blanked. Articles should be worked on in a user sandbox. Personal email addresses should also not be displayed.
Linking to External Sites
Active users with over 50 constructive edits are permitted to post links on their userpages. However, the following should be avoided:
- Flooding the userpage with links (try to keep the number of links within 10)
- Intending to provide external websites with free promotion through links.
- Linking to sites that make broad and bigoted generalizations about groups of people such as races, ethnicities, or groups of religious or irreligious people.
- Linking to sites that push a political view.
- Linking to hateful/racist/pornographic or otherwise illegal content.
- Linking to sites that are derogatory towards WikiIslam or one of its projects.
User Talk Pages
User talk pages should not be blanked, and other users' messages should not be removed or altered unless a valid reason is provided (e.g. insults, trolling, harassment). Profanities, ad hominem or threats against another user or the site should be avoided.
All new discussion topics should be given a relevant heading and created at the bottom of the page, below all previous discussions, and all messages should be signed by typing four tildes (~~~~).
While working on an article, categories should be placed temporally as hidden comments (i.e. using "<!-- Comment -->"). Sandboxes should also be blanked once their content is approved and moved to the mainspace.