But it is Just a Small Minority of Extremists
So let's begin. The first response on our list is: "You seem to be indicting the whole religion. It is really just a small minority of extremists who have hijacked the religion." Have you ever heard this?
In other words, you'll be talking about Islam and what it says in the Qur'an, and they'll come back with, "You're talking about a minority within Islam."
This is the biggest misconception people have — that Islamic supremacists are terrorists and they're small in number and a fringe group, and that the vast majority of Muslims are peaceful, law-abiding, kind-hearted, religiously-tolerant believers in humans rights.
How can you respond? Here are five different ways to answer:
- Even a small minority of 1.3 billion people is still a lot of people. And the minority is not nearly as small as people like to think. Yes, the number of Muslims following Mohammad's command to "kill unbelievers wherever you find them" may be small, but a much much larger percentage believes in the political purpose of Islam and is working toward that goal in other ways besides terrorism. There are many ways to wage jihad. Violence is only one. Demographics is another (that is, immigrate to a new country, maybe even let them support you with welfare, but definitely out-breed the original inhabitants, build up a politically-active and powerful voting block of Muslims in that country, and then start pressing for concessions). Many forms of jihad are possible — litigation jihad, forest fire jihad, falsify textbooks jihad, and the list goes on and on. Violent Islamic supremacists may, in fact, be the least of our problems.
- You mean the ones who are blowing themselves up in order to kill non-Muslims? Or flying planes into buildings? Or trying to get their hands on a nuclear bomb so they can set it off in downtown New York City? Those are worthy of concern, but in the longer term, the Muslims waging jihad by other means may be more dangerous. (Of course, at this point, they'll probably say, "What other means?" and you have opened up another opportunity to educate them further.)
- Jihad is obligatory for all Muslims. Jihad doesn't mean only violence. Jihad means to struggle, in whatever way you can, to achieve Islam's single political goal: The subjugation of all non-Muslims to Islamic law. That political goal is a Muslim's religious duty. Muhammad didn't approve of meditation or navel-gazing. He said the way you can prove your devotion to Allah is by action. So even mainstream "moderate" Muslims are active, constantly working toward the end-goal of worldwide Islamic dominance. They do it by paying their zakat, which goes to the mosque, which goes to supporting Muslim causes (which are almost entirely political causes). And they do it by having lots of children, to give Muslims a demographic advantage in democratic countries. They do it by making every non-Muslim they meet think that Muslims are harmless and well-meaning. They do it by crying "racism" every time someone criticizes Islam, even though they know full well Islam is not a race (they say it because it gets the desired response: It shuts people up). They do it by writing to every television or radio program that portrays Islam in an unflattering light. It is all jihad. Bamboozling the non-Muslims is jihad. As Muhammad said, "War is deceit." And as you can see, they have been winning the war. You, like most other non-Muslims, know almost nothing about Islam and yet have a feeling that it must be all right.
- We get that impression (that it is a small number of extremists) because almost none of the constant attacks by Jihadis are covered in the media. Go to thereligionofpeace.com and you can see every verifiable attack in the world made in the name of Islam. There are about five attacks a day. Some big, some small. But it adds up to a constant war being waged against all non-Muslims everywhere in the world simultaneously. More people are being killed in the name of Islam per year than were killed in the entire 350 years of the Spanish Inquisition. And each one of the Jihadis doing the killing is supported by a network of Muslims that, while they are not killers themselves, help to make it happen, help to finance it, help to hide them, feed them, encourage them, and protect them. And the ones committing violent jihad are only the tip of the iceberg. In many other ways, many more Muslims are following Muhammad's example and waging jihad on many fronts and at many levels at once.
- The Muslim Brotherhood is the largest Islamic organization of any kind in the world. That makes it mainstream. Not fringe. The Brotherhood's goal is to make the whole world submit to Islamic law. And they are actively (and in many ways successfully) accomplishing their goal. Most of them do not advocate random bombings, which are strategically ineffective in most places and counterproductive to the goal of world domination. They have a long-range plan and they've been putting it into effect for over twenty years. This is not guesswork. Their documents have been seized in FBI raids. One such raid recently led to the prosecution of members of the Holy Land Foundation. The Muslim Brotherhood has established lots of "legitimate" organizations in the United States, which work toward the goal of destroying our government from within (this is their stated goal) — CAIR, MSA, ISNA, NAIT, etc. They raise money to promote jihad (while fooling people as to the real purpose of the money), they sue on behalf of Islam, they recruit on campuses and turn non-Muslim students against America, they influence how textbooks in American schools portray Islam, they influence how the FBI deals with Muslims, they fund and control madrassas and mosques all over America and make sure they teach hatred, intolerance, and non-integration. And more. And they do it all under our noses because our attention is focused out on the hot-headed Jihadis who are blowing things up. Read more about the Muslim Brotherhood's goals here.
That is our list of good responses — responses that will satisfy most listeners, and allow your conversation to continue productively. Feel free to write in with other possible responses here. Let us share our discoveries with each other. Let's find the best ways to get through to people and prevent our conversations from being stopped by seemingly-sound arguments simply because we were not prepared.
Read over these responses again and pick the one you would most want to use, and remind yourself of it every day until it comes to mind naturally. I recommend using the reminder service, Resnooze. Or read it onto an audio file and listen to it in your car while you drive. Let's prepare ourselves for these conversations so they can go well. People who don't know must be reached. It is up to us. Let's get it done.
- Comments on "But it is Just a Small Minority of Extremists"
- What Muslim Leaders Say About Islam Dispels the Myth that Jihadists are a "Fringe" Element
- 130 Million Strong: Al-Qaeda’s Deep Muslim Support