Virgin Conception of Jesus in the Qur'an
This article or section is being renovated.
Qur'anic verses 21:91 and 66:12 suggest that Allah breathed into Maryam's vagina in order to conceive Isa. When looking at the tafsirs we find that Allah did this by sending the angel Jibreel to complete this task. The word "Farj" is used in these verses to indicate where Allah/Jibreel blew, and Farj means "vagina." The verse uses "Farjaha" which means "her vagina."
He opened, made room, ample space.
Furijat - Cloven, split, rent, opened.
Farjun (Pl. Furuj) - Pudenda (sex organ); chastity, space between legs (of horse or mare), part/s of a person (male/female) indecent to expose, external portions of the organs of generation [of a male/female]. Also the posterior pudendum because it is a place of opening, of between the legs.
faraja vb. (1) perf. pass. 77:9farj n.m. (pl. furuj) 21:91, 23:5, 24:30, 24:31, 33:35, 50:6, 66:12, 70:29
Meanings from other dictionaries and sources have been compiled below:
|Google Translate||الفرج (Al-Farj)||vagina|
|Babylon.com||الفرج (Al-Farj)||n. pussy, vulva, relief|
|SYSTRAnet.com||الفرج (Al-Farj)||the pussy|
Versions of Translations
- Literal: "her genital parts , so We blew into her" 
- Malik: "who guarded her chastity, We breathed into her of Our Spirit"' 
- George Sale: "who preserved her virginity, and into whom We breathed of our spirit" 
- JM Rodwell: "who kept her maidenhood, and into whom we breathed of our spirit" 
- Asad: "AND [remember] her who guarded her chastity, whereupon We breathed into her of Our spirit" 
- Tafsir Ibn Kathir: "And Maryam, the daughter of `Imran who guarded her chastity. And We breathed into it [her garment] through Our Ruh) [66:12]." 
- Literal: "her genital parts between her legs, so We blew in it" 
- Malik: "and into whose womb We breathed of Our spirit" 
- George Sale: "and into whose womb we breathed of our spirit" 
- JM Rodwell: "and into whose womb we breathed of our spirit" 
- Asad: "whereupon We breathed of Our spirit into that [which was in her womb]" 
- Tafsir, Ibn Kathir: "(And We breathed into it (private part) through Our Ruh,) " 
Many translators of these verses were likely embarrassed to translate the word into its real meaning so they used alternate and sometimes widely varying meanings that appeared more 'holy' such as seen in the following versions:
- Yusuf Ali: "who guarded her chastity; and We breathed into (her body) of Our spirit" 
- Pickthall: "therefor We breathed therein something of Our Spirit" 
- Hilali/Khan: "the daughter of Imran who guarded her chastity; and We breathed into (the sleeve of her shirt or her garment) through Our Rooh" 
Here are the full quotes of the above translations and some additional translations.
Transliteration: Waallatee ahsanat farjaha fanafakhna feeha min roohina wajaAAalnaha waibnaha ayatan lilAAalameenaLiteral: And who remained chaste/(protected) her genital parts , so We blew into her from Our Soul/Spirit , and We made/created her and her son (as) an evidence/sign to the creations all together/(universes). 
Transliteration: Wamaryama ibnata AAimrana allatee ahsanat farjaha fanafakhna feehi min roohina wasaddaqat bikalimati rabbiha wakutubihi wakanat mina alqaniteenaLiteral: And Mary Amran's daughter who remained chaste (protected) her genital parts between her legs, so We blew in it from Our Soul/Spirit , and she confirmed/was truthful with her Lord's words/expressions, and His Books , and she was from the worshipping humbly 
Translations of Verses
[وَمَرْيَمَ ابْنَةَ عِمْرَانَ الَّتِى أَحْصَنَتْ فَرْجَهَا فَنَفَخْنَا فِيهِ مِن رُّوحِنَا](And Maryam, the daughter of `Imran who guarded her chastity. And We breathed into it [her garment] through Our Ruh) [66:12]. 
[وَمَرْيَمَ ابْنَةَ عِمْرَانَ الَّتِى أَحْصَنَتْ فَرْجَهَا]
(And Maryam, the daughter of `Imran who guarded her chastity (private part).) meaning, who protected and purified her honor, by being chaste and free of immorality,
[فَنَفَخْنَا فِيهِ مِن رُّوحِنَا](And We breathed into it (private part) through Our Ruh,) meaning, through the angel Jibril. Allah sent the angel Jibril to Maryam, and he came to her in the shape of a man in every respect. Allah commanded him to blow into a gap of her garment and that breath went into her womb through her private part; this is how `Isa was conceived. 
- Mary - A hub page that leads to other articles related to Mary
- "Compared Translations of the meaning of the Quran - 21:91", IslamAwakened, May 5, 2007 (archived), https://web.archive.org/web/20070505061459/http://islamawakened.com/Quran/21/91/default.htm.
- Islam Awakened - Qur'an 21:91
- Tafsir 'Ibn Kathir - Quran 21:91
- "Compared Translations of the meaning of the Quran - 66:12", IslamAwakened, May 5, 2007 (archived), https://web.archive.org/web/20070505061459/http://islamawakened.com/Quran/66/12/default.htm.
- Islam Awakened - Qur'an 66:12
- Tafsir 'ibn Kathir - Quran 66:12
- Quran Browser - Quran 21:91
- Quran Browser - Quran 66:12
- Muhammad Asad, "The Message of the Qur'an", Dar al-Andalus Ltd, 3 Library Ramp, Gibraltar, 1980 (archived), http://www.alim.org/library/quran/ayah/compare/21/91/pdf/Allah%20accepted%20the%20prayers%20and%20blessed%20Prophets%20Isma%60il,%20Zulkifl,%20Yunus,%20Zakariya%20and%20also%20blessed%20Maryem.