Talk:Unjust Treatment of Wives (Qur'an 4:129)
I do not see where 4:3 only mandates that material equality and equitable Mahr are required in order to fulfill its requirement of justice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have you looked at the actual translation???
وَإِنْ خِفْتُمْ أَلاَّ تُقْسِطُواْ فِي الْيَتَامَى فَانكِحُواْ مَا طَابَ لَكُم مِّنَ النِّسَاء مَثْنَى وَثُلاَثَ وَرُبَاعَ فَإِنْ خِفْتُمْ أَلاَّ تَعْدِلُواْ فَوَاحِدَةً أَوْ مَا مَلَكَتْ أَيْمَانُكُمْ ذَلِكَ أَدْنَى أَلاَّ تَعُولُواْ (4:3
4:3 And if you have reason to fear that you might not act equitably towards orphans, then marry from among [other] women such as are lawful to you  - [even] two, or three, or four: but if you have reason to fear that you might not be able to treat them with equal fairness, then [only] one - or [from among] those whom you rightfully possess.  This will make it more likely that you will not deviate from the right course. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 22.214.171.124 (talk • contribs) (Remember to sign your comments)
- Hi there, did you look at my article (linked at the bottom of this one? Dealing Justly with Wives and Orphans It is all explained there. Also I do not see where the literal translation shows the phrase "equal fairness". For example check out this site. It shows:
- Arabic: وان خفتم الا تقسطوا في اليتامى فانكحوا ماطاب لكم من النساء مثنى وثلاث ورباع فان خفتم الا تعدلوا فواحدة او ماملكت ايمانكم ذلك ادنى الا تعولوا
- Transliteration: Wa-in khiftum alla tuqsitoo fee alyatama fainkihoo ma taba lakum mina alnnisa-i mathna wathulatha warubaAAa fa-in khiftum alla taAAdiloo fawahidatan aw ma malakat aymanukum thalika adna alla taAAooloo
- Literal: And if you feared that you not be just/equitable in the orphans , so marry what (was) allowed/permitted for you from the women two twos/twos, and threes, and fours, so if you feared that you not be just/equitable, so (marry) one or what your rights owned/possessed, that (is) nearer that you not side away from justice .
- Furthermore, even if you *are* right, the phrase 'equal fairness' does not preclude the ahadith and tafseer I have provided that show that 4:3 is dealing with material equality. Where did you get your translation from? Note that none of the 16 (sixteen) translators (given on the site above) have given the phrase you have ('equal fairness'). Thanks! Sanitarium 03:34, 14 December 2008 (PST)