- This article expresses a pro-Islamic viewpoint.
Ibrāhīm (Arabic: ابراهيم, Hebrew: אַבְרָהָם) , the biblical patriarch Abraham (circa born between 1900 BC to 1861 BC – died between 1814 BC to 1716 BC), is an important prophet in Islam. He is the son of Tarekh and the father of the Prophet Ismail (Ishmael) -his first born son- and the Prophet Ishak (Isaac) his second born. Ibrahim is considered the Father of the Prophets. Ibrahim is commonly termed Khalil Allah, or "Friend of God" or "Braheem". Islam regards many of the biblical patriarchs as prophets of Allah, and hence as Muslims (i.e., monotheists). Ibrahim is regarded as a Hanif (meaning a discoverer of monotheism without being taught by a messenger).
Festival of Sacrifice" or "Greater Bairam" is a religious festival celebrated by Muslims (including the Druze) worldwide to commemorate the willingness of Ibrahim to sacrifice his son Ishmael as an act of obedience to God. However, God provided a ram in place once Ibrahim demonstrated his willingness to follow God's commands.Qorbani is the sacrifice of a livestock animal during Eid ul-Adha. The word form was borrowed from Syriac qurbani "sacrifice", etymologised through the cognate Arabic triliteral as "a way or means of approaching someone". Eid al-Adha is the latter of two Eid festivals celebrated by Muslims, whose basis comes from the Quran. (Muslims in Iran celebrate a third, non-denominational Eid.) Like Eid al-Fitr, Eid al-Adha begins with a short prayer followed by a sermon.
- Its a common observation that slaughtering animals in such huge numbers is bloodshed and no human being approves of bloodshed but it is the will of Allah and Allah's will is beyond human understanding,and is not only for muslim's to follow but all of mankind.
Benefits of sacrifice (Qurbani)
- Qurbani is compulsory for muslims alone but it benefits the non muslims as well.As in,most of the livestock is imported from non muslim countries and in this way alot of money is earned by these countries.
- The leather that is obtained from the sacrificed animals is enough for the world's needs and is used by people of all religious background.Also most of the leather industry is based in the non muslim counties.
- Qurbani plays an integral part in transfer of money from the urban city centres to the rural areas where livestock is raised and where people live off this money for a whole year.
- Meat is a necessary part of human diet but the cost of 1kg of meat is equal to a whole days pay for many people and almost 80% of people are unable to buy it.But on the momentous occasion of qurbani it is availible for free.
- http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/002.qmt.html#002.196 Quranic Basis for Eid al-Adha