Robert Redeker is a French philosophy teacher in south-western France. Redeker is under police protection and in hiding after receiving death threats for his criticism of Islam and Prophet Muhammad that he published in the Paris daily Le Figaro on September 19, 2006. The article prompted Egypt and Tunisia to ban the edition carrying the article.
Redeker's opinion piece was written in response to the angry reactions around the Islamic world to a lecture by Pope Benedict XVI. Following the Pope's lecture, Muslims around the globe demanded an apology, Palestinians took to the streets in Gaza, setting ablaze seven churches, a Christian was killed in Iraq, and a 65 year-old Italian nun in Somalia was shot dead in what was most likely a revenge attack.
Robert Redeker received threats by telephone and e-mail targeting himself and his wife and three children and that his photograph and address were available on several Islamist internet sites.
The threads included a clear map of how to get to his home, with the words "This pig must have his head cut off." Another threat read "You will never again be safe on this earth. One billion, 300 million Muslims are ready to kill you."
In response to these threats Redeker stated in an interview, “What is happening to me corresponds fully to what I denounce in my writing - the West is under ideological surveillance by Islam... I have the impression that I’ve been drafted against my will into a conflict from the 17th or 18th century, ... It’s all about opposing religious intolerance.”
- Free Speech - A hub page that leads to other articles related to Free Speech
- Critics of Islam - A hub page that leads to other articles related to Critics of Islam
- Robert Redeker's official site (French)
- Refugee in his Own Country - Standpoint Magazine, February 2009
- Angelique Chrisafis - French philosophy teacher in hiding after attack on Islam - The Guardian, October 4, 2006
- Elaine Sciolino - Teacher in Hiding After Attack on Islam Stirs Threats - New York Times, September 30, 2006
- Martin Arnold - Teacher in hiding after attacking Islam - Financial Times, September 29 2006
- Pope's speech stirs Muslim anger - BBC News, September 14, 2006
- Churches attacked in protest of Pope’s statements - Israel Today, September 17, 2006
- Christian Killed in Iraq in Response to Pope's Speech: Islamic Website - AINA, September 16, 2006
- Italian nun shot dead in Somalia - BBC News, September 18, 2006