Hale (former Muslim)
My Testimony of Leaving Islam
I am an ex-Muslim. I even went on hajj and managed a Yahoo! Islamic group with almost 4,000 members. But I was always asking questions and listening to the answers and that destroyed my faith in al-Islam.
A few examples:
- I told an imam I disbelieved that the ahadith collections were divinely inspired. I was assured that belief took me out of Islam. I was even told by the imam that a member of Islam Open Forum who called the ahadith "satanic" "deserved to be killed" and that even repentance would not justify lifting of the death penalty for such apostasy.
- I was fired by an Arab Palestinian employer after stating I agreed with Queen Noor of Jordan that the hijab (veiling of women) is not required for a Muslim woman.
- While I was in Saudi Arabia, I got to hear the head of the Qur'an printing plant in Medina state that it was necessary to conduct "a holy war against the Jews!"
- I was told by an imam that Allah was "blessing" Hitler for what he did to the Jews. Indeed, this imam said that Hitler's only mistake was he did not "completely take care of the Jewish problem."
- After 9/11, most Muslims I knew were vehemently arguing that the Israelis were behind it and the Bin Laden's confession tape was faked by the CIA.
The problem is that these extremist views are not isolated individuals, i.e. like the Rev. Jim Jones or David Koresh.
The holy books of Islam and the opinions of Islamic scholars fully support barbaric criminal punishments, oppression of women, and terrorism and oppression of Non-Muslims.
Enough is enough! I formally left Islam in March, 2002.