Bio & News
Arif Alikhan is the Assistant Secretary for Policy Development for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security in Washington, D.C. where he leads a team of policy analysts, scientists, and economists responsible for coordinating, analyzing, and developing policy issues for securing the United States against terrorists and natural threats. Alikhan's roots are Sunni Muslim. His parents brought the family to Caifornia from Canada in the late 1970s. His father was from India, his mother from Pakistan.
In a statement on April 24, 2009 by Secretary Napolitano on President Obama's intent to nominate Arif Alikhan as Assistant Secretary for Policy Development, she said:
On the same DHS page, his biography is described as follows:
On May 30, 2009 Alikhan was a scheduled speaker at Islamic Shura Council of Southern California (ISCSC) banquet/fundraiser in celebration of its 15th anniversary. Other speakers included Professor Jamal Badawi, Professor Agha Saeed of the American Muslim Task Force, Dr. Muzammil Siddiqi, the outgoing Chair of the ISCSC, and Shakeel Syed.
Questionable Decisions & Ties?
Arif Alikhan played a key role in the removal of the LAPD "Mapping" Plan which involved mapping Muslim communities in an effort to identify potential hotbeds of extremism. LAPD officials said that it was crucial for them to gain a better understanding of isolated parts of the Muslim community because those groups can potentially breed violent extremism.
Alikhan reportedly helped raise funds for Muslim Public Affairs Council (MPAC) that has labeled a deadly anti-U.S. terrorist attack a legitimate operation, referred to terrorists as "freedom fighters" and equated Muslim jihad with the sentiments of American statesman Patrick Henry. He joined MPAC on April 11 for a special fundraiser called "Be the Change" to support what the group calls its innovative leadership development programs.
- Public Figures - A hub page that leads to other articles related to Muslim public figures in America
- MPAC - For more information about MPAC's questionable ties
- OBAMA APPOINTMENT: Arif Alikhan, Asst Secretary DHS - Pamela Geller, Atlas Shrugs, June 7 , 2009
- Arif Alikhan is Homeland Security Assistant Secretary - Maggie M. Thornton, Maggie's Notebook, July 21, 2009
- Obama adminstration appoints Muslims to key Homeland Security posts -- but... they're "moderates," aren't they? - Marisol, Jihad Watch, November 22, 2009
- Assistant Secretary for Policy Development: Arif Alikhan - U.S. Department of Homeland Security
- Obama Administration taps Southland Muslim for top post - Frank Stoltze - Southern California Public Radio (89.3 KPPC), July 27, 2009
- Statement by Secretary Napolitano on President Obama's Intent to Nominate David Heyman as Assistant Secretary for Policy and her Appointment of Arif Alikhan as Assistant Secretary for Policy Development - U.S. Department of Homeland Security
- Islamic Shura Council Celebration - TMO - Muslim Media Network, June 4, 2009
- Muslims Welcome Removal of LAPD's Mapping Program - Muslim Public Affairs Council, November 16, 2007
- LAPD defends Muslim mapping effort - Richard Winton, Teresa Watanabe & Greg Krikorian - Los Angelos Times, November 10, 2007
- Napolitano pick raised funds for terror supporter - Aaron Klein - WorldNetDaily, July 20, 2009
- Be The Change - Join MPAC for a Fundraiser to Support our Young Leaders Programs - Muslim Public Affairs Council, April 6, 2009